Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Can I make myself understood speaking french in Switzerland


Can I make myself understood speaking french in Switzerland ?
I´d like to work in Switzerland but I don´t speak german, only english and french. Can I get by speaking just french in this country ? (even in cities like Zurich or Bern)
Other - Europe - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes you should be fine with French. It's one of Switzerland's official languages.
2 :
Not necessarily. For some bizarre reason a lot of people in the German parts don't speak French and vice versa. Even then, Swiss German has its own dialect using some French words as well. English is a common second language, but if you want to make your life easier I'd move to a French speaking city.
3 :
Regarding life OUTSIDE work I'd say that you will have no problems getting by either with French or English (it depends on the region you might be moving to), however, as regards work this might be more difficult and if indeed you do speak French (I don't know what work you are looking for or your background etc,) I'd also advise to move to the French speaking part of Switzerland. Our company, for example, simply would not have any work for you NOT speaking/writing any German. BTW, I assume that you know how to write French.