Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Work attire in Switzerland


Work attire in Switzerland?
I am about to move to Switzerland, and recently had my ears pierced (I am male) - I read that work attire in Switzerland was very casual - I hope to get an office job which may involve some client interaction (probably in Zurich) - will I be expected to remove my earrings?
Other - Switzerland - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
unless you got multiple piercings (where the entire outer pinna is studded) or the really long bar-type double-piercings, i wouldn't worry about it; single piercing should be ok. work dress in Switzerland ranges from conservative to casual, though in general, i find the Swiss to be better dressed than Americans; they may not be as flamboyant as the rest of Europe, but men do dress with style and (more) flair than in the States. i'd worry more about that (especially if you're the blue shirt+khakis kind of guy).
2 :
you should ask your employer about it. that's simple.
3 :
Well my husband's grandfather has an earring, if that helps any... I think one earring per ear should be fine, nothing too big, though it'll probably depend on the job. As you might imagine, the banks and insurance companies are typically more conservative than...uh, are there any other industries here? Anyway, you may be expected to wear a suit, but tasteful earwear should be fine.
4 :
They are pretty casual about things like that, as long as it's tasteful. If they don't want you to wear it to work they will say so.
5 :
First of all we are not living in the middle Ages anyway! Also not in Switzerland even if for some people Switzerland is cheese, Alps and chocolate what it's all about we are not that complicated. I think if you will work in a bank or at a Hotel and you are tongue, lip or eyebrow's pierced it could be a problem. But earrings is no problem! I even got my nose pierced and work in a office job! Wish you all the best for your new start!
6 :
No, chances are you won't unless you are aiming for an ultra-conservative field such as private banking. Zurich is so hip anyway, you'd be out of place to not have a piercing. My husband works for the telcom industry, seems like these days anything goes, even Marilyn Manson t-shirts.
7 :
No . Most men in switzerland have pierced ears, especially if they are from farming family. Casual dress is ok.